"what i've said, that will i bring about & what i've planned, that will i do." isaiah 46:11
.

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

- JUST A MOM -

A woman, renewing her driver's license, was asked by the woman at registry to state her occupation. She hesitated, uncertain how to classify herself. "What I mean is", explained the woman at registry, "do you have a job or are you just a ...?" "Of course I have a job", snapped the woman. "I'm a Mom". "We don't list 'Mom' as an occupation, 'housewife' covers it", said the recorder emphatically. I forgot all about her story until one day I found myself in the same situation.
`
The Clerk was obviously a career woman, poised, efficient & possessed of a high sounding title like, 'Official Interrogator' or 'City Registrar'. "What is your occupation?" she probed. What made me say it?, I do not know. The words simply popped out. "I'm a Research Associate in the field of Child Development & Human Relations". The clerk paused, ball-point pen frozen in midair & looked up as though she had not heard right. I repeated the title slowly emphasizing the most significant words. Then I stared with wonder as my pronouncement was written, in bold, black ink on the official questionnaire. "Might I ask", said the clerk with new interest, 'just what you do in your field?' Coolly, without any trace of fluster in my voice, I heard myself reply, "I have a continuing program of research, (what mother doesn't) in the laboratory & in the field, (normally I would have said indoors & out) I'm working for my Masters, (first the Lord & then the whole family) & already have four credits (all daughters). Of course, the job is one of the most demanding in the humanities, (any mother care to disagree?) & I often work 14 hours a day, (24 is more like it), but the job is more challenging than most run-of-the-mill careers. The rewards are more of a satisfaction rather than just money". There was an increasing note of respect in the clerk's voice as she completed the form, stood up & personally ushered me to the door. As I drove into our driveway, buoyed up by my glamorous new career, I was greeted by my lab assistants - ages 13, 7 & 3. Upstairs I could hear our new experimental model, (a 6 month old baby) in the child development program, testing out a new vocal pattern. I felt I had scored a beat on bureaucracy! I had gone on the official records as someone more distinguished & indispensable to mankind than 'just another Mom.' Motherhood! What a glorious career! Especially when there's a title on the door

No comments: